Wednesday September 18th is the day that iOS 7 starts rolling out to the public so now is the time to start making sure your device is ready. Before you go ahead and update follow these guidelines first:
iOS 7 Compatibility :
Make sure your current device is on the list of supported devices:
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPod Touch 5
- iPad 2
- iPad 3
- iPad 4
- iPad Mini
All new devices will ship with iOS 7 , which includes iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C
Clear the Beta :
If you have a beta version of iOS 7 on your device, you need to either update to the GM version or restore back to iOS 6.1.3 or 6.1.4. The GM version of iOS 7 can only be downloaded via the Development center so, if you are not a developer you need to get your UDID activated first.
Delete Unused Apps :
Not really necessary but this isn’t a bad idea either. Go through your apps and get rid of any that you haven’t used in ages. You can download them again later on, if you decide you need them.
A Bit of Maintenance and Cleaning :
If you need to free up space do a bit of maintenance:
- Clear out your temporary files and device cache there are apps to help you do this, such as PhoneClean
- Delete large message threads, duplicate images or audio/video files.
- Open Settings > General > Usage on your device and look to see what is using the most space up. Focus on deleting those that you don’t need.
- Open Safari from Settings and tap on Clear Cookies and Data and on Clear History.
Move Image and Movie Files
If you store a lot of images or movie files on your device, move them off onto your PC. You can also use Dropbox or a Cloud storage service to back up your files to as well just to make sure.
Back Your Device up – Twice
One backup is good, two is better. Back up your device using both of these methods and do it on a regular basis:
- iTunes – Connect your device and PC and open iTunes. Select your device and choose the Back up Now option
- iCloud – Open up Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup and choose Back up Now.
Once you have done all of the above you are ready to update to iOS 7.