On August 6th Apple seeded iOS 7 beta 5 to registered developers. Despite the iOS development center being closed down for a few weeks after a security breach, Apple still managed to release beta 4 with only a short delay and this one appears to be earlier than expected. This suggests that Apple is pushing to keep to a schedule, perhaps aiming to get iOS ready for public release in September.
If you have an iPhone 5 and you want to download beta 5 , there are a couple of ways of doing so. First off, you should be a registered developer. If you are you can use one of these 2 methods:
Method 1 – OTA
This is by far the easiest method to upgrade to iOS 7 , but it will only work if you have earlier installed iOS 7 . The downloads are comparatively less m around 250+ MB of data and hence update is done faster than downloading the entire iOS firmware which is upto the size of 1.5 GB . Follow the steps below to update to Beta 5 using OTA method . All other users , skip this part and go to the direct ipsw method and install it using iTunes . If you get activation error , you can always choose back to restore to your previous firmware . But before proceeding with any iOS update attempt , please backup using iTunes and iCloud . Keep a backup of your device in a local store through iTunes. This facilitates easy backup in case your iOS 7 beta 5 upgrade fails .
- Open Settings on your iPhone 5
- Navigate to General
- Tap on Software Update
- When you get a message informing you of the new update, tap on Download and Install.
- It will take a few minutes but your iPhone 5 should reboot onto the new firmware.
Method 2 – IPSW
- Download iOS 7 Beta 5 IPSW
- Connect your iPhone 5 to your computer and open iTunes
- Go to Device Summary
- Press the SHIFT (Option for Mac) key and click on Update in iTunes at the same time.
- Find the beta 5 IPSW you downloaded and let iTunes update your iPhone 5
- The process will take about 15 minutes and your iPhone 5 will boot into iOS 7 beta 5
- Activate your iPhone 5 and you’re ready to start using the new firmware
If you are a non-developer you can still attempt to download iOS 7 beta 5 using the unofficial links here and following the above method but it is something you do entirely at your own risk. If you are faced with an activation error, you will need either to register as a developer or downgrade to 6.1.4.