Since Monday 10th June when iOS 7 was first revealed Apple has seeded no less than 6 betas, the final one coming just a couple of days ago. It’s widely believed that the next one will be the Gold Master version, released to Apple employees and partners on September 5th, followed by the developers on September 10th. For those that are looking to download the beta iOS 7 versions here’s how to do it:
Method 1 – OTA – Registered Developers only
- Open Settings on your iPhone 5
- Select General > Software Update . Note that this can only be carried out if you have been downloading the betas as they are seeded . OTA updates give you only the required system files that are changed in the new firmware. So that they can be done by any user over WiFi without the requirement of iTunes and a PC/Mac . OTA updates are very small in size . The last OTA update from Apple was just 13 MB for iOS 7 beta 6 . This shows how small an iOS firmware update can be . Allow your device to connect to Apple Servers and find out any update for your phone . You should see a “Checking for Update….” screen as shown below .
- Your iPhone 5 will now check for the latest beta
- Tap on Download and Install as shown in the image below
- Your iPhone 5 will restart on the new beta when installation is complete. Usually OTA updates are smaller in size and can be done over WiFi or Cellular. These updates don’t download large firmware file and only selected system files are downloaded that update the existing firmware to bring on the changes and bug fixes .
Method 2 – IPSW and iTunes – Official
Download one of the official IPSW’s below – these must be followed in order provided they have not expired
- Connect your iPhone 5 to your computer and open iTunes
- Go to Device Summary
- Hold down SHIFT (Option for Mac) key and click Update in iTunes
- Point to the IPSW you downloaded and iTunes will proceed to update your iPhone 5
Method 3 – IPSW and iTunes – Unofficial
This is for non-developers. Download from the list of unofficial beta links
Follow the steps for the official download above. Press and hold the SHIFT key and click on Check for Updates button on iTunes running on your computer as shown in the image below .
Activate iOS 7 Beta :
When you have completed the download, you will need to activate your iPhone 5. There are 2 methods for this – the first is to register as a developer with the official Apple Developer Program for $99 per year.
Alternatively, you could save $89 and buy your UDID activation from us for $10. This will last a full year and will cover iOS 8 next year. First, email your UDID number to firstname.lastname@example.org and then send payment of $10 through PayPal. Wait a few hours and your UDID will be activated and we will send you email confirmation.
- First 50 Users Only
- No Overselling
- Best Method to LEGALLY Obtain UDID Activation