With most of the iOS community focusing on iOS 8 at the moment, nobody really expected any more updates after iOS 7.1 came out. Since then there have been two more, iOS 7.1.1 and, just recently iOS 7.1.2. This latest update fixes a few issues, such as a lock screen bug that plagued some users, an encryption bug that affected attachments in iMessage and emails, and brings a few of the normal improvements to speed and performance.
Image : iOS 7.1.2 Firmware
The email encryption bug that this update has now fixed first came to light with iOS 7, which makes it somewhat surprising that Apple has taken so long to provide a fix. However, at the time, the jailbreak community came to the rescue with a tweak that fixed it permanently. Not everyone chooses to jailbreak though and, for those of you that don’t, that fix is no here at long last.
If you are still on iOS 7.1.1, it is recommended that you update to 7.1.2. If you have not updated because you are using the latest untethered jailbreak, Pangu, a recent update to that gives it support for the latest firmware.
How to Download and Install iOS 7.1.2
There are three methods for you to use:
OTA – Over the Air
This is the smallest and easiest update but not to be used if you are going to jailbreak iOS 7.1.2.
- Open Settings on your home screen
- Tap on Software Update
- Tap on Download and Install
- Tap on Agree on the terms and conditions screen
- Leave your iPhone, iPad or iPod to update to the new firmware.
This is one of the preferred methods for downloading, especially if you choose to jailbreak:
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod to your PC
- Launch iTunes
- You should get an automatic Update message come up
- If not, tap on Check for Update
- Tap on Download and install
- iTunes will update your device to iOS 7.1.2 , restarting it in the process
iTunes with IPSW
This is the best method for those who are jailbreaking:
- Download the correct iOS 7.1.2 IPSW for your device from the links below
- Connect your device to your PC or Mac
- Open iTunes
- Hold down the Shift (Windows users) or ALT (Mac Users) key and simultaneously click on Check for Update in iTunes
- Find the IPSW you downloaded, click on it and iTunes will update your device.
For those of you who intend to jailbreak iOS 7.1.2, head over to our tutorial for jailbreaking with Pangu.
Download iOS 7.1.2 IPSW :
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPod touch (5th generation)