Ask any jailbreaker what their favorite Cydia tweaks are and most will include iFile File Manager app in their list. For those that don’t know what iFile [ext link] is, it is a tweak that gives you access to the entire files system on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. It also lets you manage it, moving, renaming, deleting files, and all sorts of other functions and, given their obsession with security, it’s easy to see why Apple will not allow this access; that is why we must jailbreak to get it.
Image : iFile File Manager App
That said, in recent time, the number of jailbreaks has gone down and we are having to wait longer to get them and that means not being able to get tweaks or apps like iFile. In recent times, though, because of the lack of jailbreaks, a new method has been created, a way of installing some of the jailbreak tweaks without having to go through Cydia first. That doesn’t mean that you can go to the app store to download it though; Apple will never let this type of app into their store. You need to use a tool called Cydia Impactor and here’s how to do it.
Image : iFile File Manager Interface
How to Download iFile :
This method involves downloading the .ipa file for the app and then side-loading it onto your iOS device using Cydia Impactor [ all links below ]. Because we are not using a jailbreak, you will find that your access to files and directories on your device will be limited as will your ability to write; this will be limited to specific folders only. However, you won’t get this access through any app store and neither will Apple allow it so you so this method is the best you are going to get until we have another jailbreak.
- Download the iFile. ipa file [ ext link ]
- Download Cydia Impactor [ ext link ] on your Windows or Mac computer
- The linked article on Step 2 gives you all the guidance you need on side-loading iFile onto your device using Cydia Impactor . When you have finished, go to Step 4
- Although iFile is on your device, you will not be able to use it yet. First, open your Settings app
- Tap on General > Profiles and Device Management and you will see a list of the app certificates
- Find the one for iFile and tap on it. Tap on Trust and then tap it again
- iFile will now work properly and will be available to access on your homescreen.
For more tutorials like this one and the latest news updates, follow us on Facebook .