Very soon we will be able to download the official version of iOS 7. It is due to be announced on September 10th, at Apple’s media event, with a date for public release. Already, downloads of the beta version of iOS 7 have seen unprecedented levels and there are still millions of users who are waiting for the official release. If you are looking to upgrade your current firmware to iOS 7 then there are some things you need to be fully prepared:
There are 3 ways to upgrade, depending on the status and current firmware of your iPhone 5
- If you don’t want to lose any of your current settings, files or applications, you can upgrade in one of 2 ways – OTA, which is the easiest, or through iTunes. More details are available in a later section.
- If your iPhone is jailbroken using evasi0n, upgrading by OTA will not be an option. You will need to restore to a different firmware through iTunes first but you will lose your jailbreak.
- If you want to start with a fresh clean system, the upgrade should be done by downloading the IPSW – more details later.
Backing Up Your Data
Before you do anything you must take a backup of your data:
- Connect your iPhone 5 and computer together with the USB cable
- Open iTunes
- If you already have automatic syncing set up, iTunes will sync with your iPhone 5 and backup your data.
- If you do not have automatic syncing set up, select your iPhone 5 from the list in iTunes and click on Sync button as shown in the image below
- Once done you should also do a manual backup, just to make sure – right click on your iPhone 5 name and click on Backup
- If you prefer, you can use iCloud to back up your iPhone 5 – On your iPhone 5, open up Settings
- Tap on iCloud
- Tap Storage and Backup Tap on Back up Now
- Also make sure you have a note of any passwords you may need to access apps or other features.
Restoring your iPhone 5 in Preparation:
The next step is to restore your iPhone 5 in preparation for upgrading it to iOS 7. This step is only if you want a completely clean install of the new firmware or if you are on a firmware that is older than iOS 6.1.3 or 6.1.4:
- Download the IPSW for 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 (specifically for the iPhone 5)
- Connect your computer and iPhone 5 together and open iTunes
- Go to Device Summary
- Hold down Shift (Alt on the Mac) and click on Restore in iTunes
- Point to the IPSW you downloaded and iTunes will restore your iPhone 5
How to Install iOS 7 Official Version:
Method 1 – OTA
- Open Settings on your iPhone 5
- Go to General
- Tap on Software Update
- Your iPhone 5 will now search for the latest software update
- Tap on Download and Install
- Your iPhone 5 will now be updated to iOS 7
Method 2 – IPSW
- Download the iOS 7 IPSW
- Follow the instructions above for restoring your device – Just click on Update in iTunes instead of Restore.
Method 3 – iTunes
- Connect your iPhone 5 and computer together and open iTunes
- Open Device Summary and click on Check for Updates
- You will now see a message telling you of the new update, click on Download and Install
- iTunes will update your iPhone 5 to iOS 7
Restore Your Backup
Once you have installed iOS 7 using iTunes or the IPSW method, you will want to restore your data using the backup you made earlier. Depending on how you backed up, there are two ways to do this:
- With your iPhone 5 connected to the PC, open iTunes
- Go to the Device tab and right-click on the name of your iPhone 5
- Select Restore from Backup
- Choose the backup you want to use
- Open Settings on your iPhone 5 Home Screen
- Go to General > Reset > Erase all Contents and Settings
- Now go back to the main menus and tap on iCloud
- Sign in, then tap on Restore from a Backup, and choose the one you want to use.