The time has finally arrived when everybody with a supported device gets to download iOS 7 and see what all the fuss has been about. By far the easiest method is via an OTA (Over the Air) update, found in Settings, General, and Software Update. However, Apple’s servers are struggling at the moment with the sheer numbers of people attempting to upgrade their devices and some are also reporting irritating error messages such as “Software Update Failed” or one that tells you that you need at least 3.1GB of storage space free.
Image : iOS 7 iPhone 5
Instead of getting more and more frustrated and impatient, why not try a different method of upgrading to iOS 7? As long as you have a PC or Mac and the most up to date version of iTunes, v11.1, you can avoid this issue altogether and manually download the new firmware.
Before you start, and this is very important, you MUST back up your device. There are 2 ways to do this:
- Connect your PC and device together and open iTunes
- If you have Automatic Syncing set up, iTunes will sync with and back up your device straightaway
- If you doing have this set up, go to Device Summary and select the device that is connected to the PC
- Scroll down to the Backups section and click on Back Up Now
- Open your Settings App and tap on iCloud
- Enter your Apple Login details
- Tap on Storage and Backup
- Tap Backup Now as shown in the image above
Installing iOS 7 using iTunes and IPSW
- Download the iOS 7 IPSW for your device – remember where you save them
- Connect your device to your PC with the USB cable and open iTunes
- Go to Device Summary and select your device
- Press SHIFT (Alt for Mac) key on your computer keyboard and click on Update in iTunes as shown in the image below. This will bring up a window where you can select the ipsw file downloaded.
- Navigate to the IPSW and iTunes will begin the process of upgrading your device to iOS 7. iTunes will now verify and update your device to the selected firmware .
Once completed, activate your device for use with the new firmware and enjoy iOS 7 features . For more follow us on Twitter, Facebook and subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest news.