A few days ago, it was thought that iOS 7 Beta 4 would be delayed; his is down to the fact that the Developer Center is currently closed following a security breach. However, today Apple has released Beta 4 to developers, both registered and, due to a loophole, non-registered.
If you are intending to upgrade your iPhone 5 to this latest beta you must remember that you will be unable to restore your device back to a more stable version and, if you have a jailbroken iPhone 5 this will be wiped out as well. There are 2 methods to upgrading your iPhone 5 to iOS 7 Beta 4 .
Method 1 – OTA – For those on an existing Beta iOS 7
This is the easiest way to upgrade your iPhone 5:
- Launch Settings from your Home screen
- Tap on General
- Tap on Software Update
- Your iPhone 5 will begin the search for the iOS 7 Beta 4 upgrade
- When it is displayed, tap to download and install
- Your iPhone 5 will restart itself as soon as the install is complete
Method 2 – IPSW – For those who are not registered
- First, download iOS 7 Beta 4 IPSW – Links will be made available shortly
- Connect your iPhone 5 to your PC and then open up iTunes
- You will see a list of devices – click on your one
- Now press the SHIFT key down and, at the same time, click on Update
- Locate the IPSW you downloaded and iTunes will proceed to upgrade your iPhone 5 to the new beta 4.
For those that are not registered, please bear in mind that Beta versions of any software are notoriously unstable. Most developers use a second device to test the betas on, not their main one and, should things go wrong you will not receive any support from Apple or the development community.