In an unexpected move, Apple has just released iOS 7.0.6 for newer iOS devices to fix SSL connection verification. All devices on iOS 7 are supported although it looks as though the update only affects the Phone 5S.
Image : Download iOS 7.0.6
It was thought that, following the release of 7.0.5 and beta 5 for iOS 7.1, we wouldn’t see any more updates until iOS 7.1 was ready for release. That’s thought to be happening in March although there is no specific date just yet.
Alongside this latest release, Apple has also released iOS 6.1.6 to fix the same SSL connection verification problem on older devices such as the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4. To warrant a sudden release, the SSL problem must have been deemed as serious by Apple, especially with a brand new firmware on the verge of release.
iOS 7.1 is currently on beta 5 and it’s thought that the next release will be the Gold Master version, prior to public release. 7.1 is said to look and act pretty much the same as iOS 7 but with the usual big fixes, performance enhancement and some minor UI tweaks. It will also feature the long-awaited In Car Feature as well.
Those of you who wish to upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 can do it one of three ways:
This is the easiest and quickest method but is not recommended for those who wish to jailbreak.
- Open Settings on your iOS device
- Tap on General
- Tap on About
- Tap on Software Update as shown in the image below
- A message will pop up informing you of the new update – tap on Download and Install
- iOS 7.0.6 will download and install – your device will restart to complete the installation.
This is one of the preferred methods for jailbreakers and takes around 5-10 minutes
- Connect your device to your PC or Mac
- Open iTunes
- Select your device and tap on Device Summary
- Select Check for Updates
- On the pop-up message, tap on Download and Install
- iTunes will update the software on your device to iOS 7.0.6
iTunes with IPSW
This method takes around the same time as the above one
- Download the IPSW that corresponds to your device – links at the bottom of article
- Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes
- Select your device and open Device Summary
- Press and hold the Shift key on your Windows PC or Alt on your Mac and then click on Check for Update in iTunes
- Direct iTunes to the IPSW you downloaded
- iTunes will now update your device
At the moment, we are not sure if this update patches any exploits used in Evasi0n 7 so, if you have a jailbroken device or are planning to jailbreak, do not update your device until Evad3rs have tested the update and give you go ahead.
We know that iOS 7.1 will definitely patch the exploits but it’s not clear yet if evad3rs have any other exploits they can use for a new utility.
iOS 7.0.6 Download Links :
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPod touch (5th generation)