Since iOS 7 was first revealed in June, it has received the most downloads of any of the iOS firmwares, partly because so many people are eager to get their hands on this redesign early and partly because of an Activation Error which allowed non-developers to download and install the betas.
How to Downgrade iOS 7 Beta 6 to iOS 6.1.x :
If you have upgraded and find that, for some reason, you want to go back to iOS 6.1.4 ( iPhone 5 uses only) there are 2 ways to do it. You can not go back to any earlier iOS firmware, only to publicly signed ones so you will not be able to carry out a jailbreak when you downgrade to iOS 6.1.4. The downgrade is simple , as apple allows you to downgrade your device when running any beta version of a firmware .
First Method – iTunes
- Download the IPSW for iOS 6.1.4
- Connect your iPhone 5 and your PC or Mac together using the USB cable
- Launch iTunes
- Navigate to the Device Summary Tab and, if you have more than one device listed, click on the correct one
- Hold down SHIFT if you are using a Windows PC, Option or Alt if you are using a Mac
- Click Restore in iTunes at the same time while holding the keyboard buttons as shown un the image above .
- Locate the 6.1.4 IPSW you downloaded
- iTunes will now begin the process of downgrading your iPhone 5 to iOS 6.1.4 Firmware
Note : Should anything go wrong with the process you can place your iPhone 5 into DFU and then follow the above tutorial again .
Second Method – Xcode You must have a Mac and an Xcode developer’s license to be able to use this method
- Connect your iPhone 5 and your computer using the USB cable
- Make sure iTunes is closed down and open up Xcode
- Navigate to Windows, Organizer
- Navigate to Devices and select your iPhone 5
- Select Use for Development and input your login details when asked
- Select Software Version followed by Other Version
- Navigate to Finder and locate the iOS 6.1.4 IPSW you downloaded
- When you notice iOS 6.1.4 listed in Software Version click Restore iOS Device
- Your iPhone 5 will restart and, as long as Xcode is still running you will see New Device Detected – click Use for Development
- Now open iTunes and follow the set up and install procedure.
Get Updates on this topic. Subscribe